Tragedy at Carlsberg UK
One dead, 22 hospitalised after ammonia leak
A man has died following a gas leak at Carlsberg UK’s Northampton brewery on Wednesday. Eleven workers and another 11 members of the emergency services were taken to hospital as a result of the incident. All but one, who is in a ‘serious’ condition, have now been released.
The plant was evacuated, production has ceased and the site remains cordoned off while the leak is being investigated. There is no risk to the wider public, according to Northamptonshire police, which identified the gas as ammonia.
Police further confirmed today that the dead man is in his forties and that a joint investigation with the Health & Safety Executive “is likely to continue over the coming weeks”.
Carlsberg UK’s chief executive officer Julian Momen said he was “deeply, deeply saddened by this tragic incident”.
“Our immediate thoughts are with the individual’s family, friends and colleagues at this very difficult time and we will support them in every way we can. Our further thoughts and support are with our colleagues and members of the emergency services who were treated in hospital. One of our colleagues remains in a serious but stable condition.
“Nothing is more important to us than the safety of everyone working for us. We are working closely with the authorities to investigate how this incident occurred and we will be in a position to say more once a full investigation has been concluded.”